There are a lot of good reasons to own your own home. It has been estimated that about 96% of Millennials are looking to include real estate in their investment portfolios. There are a number of options available to people looking to make such an investment. There are a lot of homes on the market. Many people look to new construction homes for sale and there are some great reasons to go this route. A few are:
- You get the floorplan you actually want. When you build on your own acreage rather than go with something already in place, you can call the shots when it comes to the look and feel of the house. You can tailor it to your lifestyle and needs. It is important to think more seriously about what you want now and what you may want in a few years. If you have any plans to expand your family, this is the time to think about that when you talk to local home builders.
- You will get the newest in safety and security. When people opt for new construction homes, you can put in the latest and greatest in protection from the elements such as wind and rain. If you buy an older house and want to make it pass new codes for hurricanes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters, it can be expensive to retrofit the place. If you design your own place, the newest technologies can be incorporated into the home.
- Like people, homes can have baggage. Pests can live in the attic or roof. Mold may lurk in wet areas. There may be issues of dry rot. Even the current homeowners may not be aware of these problems but they can come back to haunt you later. When you build on your lot, you are starting fresh. There will be no problem with work done by a subcontractor years earlier. You know you are starting from scratch and that can give you real peace of mind. Even the best inspector can miss a lot. For example, if there is mold inside the walls, you may not have any way to know about that. Buying new means you do not have to worry about such things.
- All your systems will be brand new. One problem you avoid when looking at new construction homes is you will not have to upgrade anything. While it is possible to do upgrades to an older house, it can cost a lot and be labor-intensive. The wiring, plumbing, heating, and cooling systems may all need to be replaced or fixed to make the space comfortable for you and your family. These are things you do not need to worry about with a new home.
- You can have a more environmentally friendly home. If you want to lower your carbon footprint, the easiest thing to do is look at new homes. Homebuilders use greener techniques and materials that allow you to keep your home comfortable while using less energy. Just putting new windows into an older home can lower energy bills by 20% or more. When you design your home, you can build those features into the house. You may be eligible for rebates from the utility company, state or federal government if you start off with greener appliances and the like.
- Buying new can cut your insurance bills. Older houses can come with higher home insurance premiums. Not only is there more risk that comes along with an existing house but it will not have the advantages of the newest techniques and materials to keep it from being damaged in a natural disaster. This can be a real game-changer when it comes to what you will pay to insure your home.
Buying a new home can be a terrifying and exciting process. Some people pass up new construction homes because they assume they cost more. If you take the time to talk to home builders in your area, you may find the more cost-effective option is a new home. For many, this is a win-win.